They are very intelligent, have emotions and personalities, and live in family groups. A troop of up to 20 gorillas is led and defended by a dominant male called a silverback. A male gorilla has the strength of up to eight men. Chest-beating is one way a gorilla shows that it’s excited. Gorillas and humans have the same number of hairs on their bodies.
- Where to see them: Central Africa; Congo
- Height: 5 to 6 ftWeight: Male - Up to 400 lbs, Female - Up to 200 lbs
- Lifespan: Up to 35 yrs in the wild
- Habitat: Tropical forest
- Diet: Fruits, leaves, and small invertebrates
- Risk Status: Species at Risk (IUCN—Endangered)